Nutella Mug Cake- 5 minute mug cake for a quick chocolate fix.
So I have been strumming my fingers on the keyboard for a while now.
I am in a dilemma about the recipe I am posting today.
Should I share this recipe
spare you from the depression
the knowledge of this recipe would cause.
In case you have resolved to get back in shape this new year,
I warn you to NOT read any further.
Nothing can be done about me.
I have been in on this knowledge,
there is still saving grace for you.
I mean it.
And I am only saying it for your own good.
If you still want to continue, it’s at your own risk.
I only became aware of it recently.
And believe me, I could not be more happy with God for
keeping me in the dark about this little cake.
I tell you its a dangerous cake.
Its going to make you cry as to how easy it is to make it again and again.
Chocolate cake should not be THIS easy.
And on top of it being easy to make,
its in your hands in flat 5 minutes-
the mixing of ingredients, cooking time all included.
With only one utensil to wash
(well, two if you count the spoon you going to use to eat it.)
Just grossly unfair.
Out go the pre-marriage jeans I want to fit into.
this cake will soon become one of your best friends.
It will be by your side in minutes when you are down.
Giving you comfort.
And you all know how difficult it is to ignore that friend.
You will eventually cave in to like it.
Like I have.
It is my new best friend.
you could have it as is.
with some whipped cream.
Since you indulging, you might as well do it right.
you could throw in
For good measure.
About the taste-
for something that dirties only a mug
takes 5 minutes to make from start to finish,
it is pretty darn good.
You don’t have a very spongy cake like texture
its nice and chocolatey
that works for me
its safe to say
it would too for most of you.
The good (or bad?) part of the cake,
as V put it,
is that its not too sweet.
So you can have bite after bite.
Yes, V, you can afford to say that when you have only 1% body fat!
If you want to remove it from the mug and eat
(why would you want to do that?!that means another utensil to wash!)
but in case you do,
it would be better if you mix all the ingredients in a different bowl
grease the mug you plan to bake it in.
The cooking time will depend on your microwave
the only way for you to find out is to make repeat batches.
Yes I told you, you will hate me after reading this recipe.
It takes anywhere between 1 1/2 to 3 minutes.
It took mine 2min 30 sec.
So here you have it, the Nutella Mug Cake recipe.
I hope you enjoy (and curse this recipe) as much as I do.
Note: The recipe is adapted from here
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 3 tbsp nutella
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- Pinch salt
- In a mug ( I use a 300 ml coffee mug), break the egg and whisk a little with a fork.
- Add milk, oil and mix together.
- Mix in the nutella well.
- Add sugar, cocoa, salt and espresso powder. Mix well.
- Fold in the flour with fork. Mix well but be careful as to not overmix else you will get a rubbery, tough texture.
- Microwave for 2½ to 3 minutes on high. You will have to figure out how long you want to microwave. For me the cake is done after 2 min 45 sec.
- Let cool a bit and dig in.
- If your cake comes out dry and rubbery, its been in the microwave for too long or you mixed it too much. Fold all the ingredients only till they come together. And play with the timings to get the right texture.
- If you want to be indulgent, add whipped cream. This recipe makes one big mug of cake, which is best enjoyed shared with another person, but on the low days you can have one completely to yourself.
- Keep watching this space for a post where you will be surprised by how good this dangerous cake can be when you have sudden guests over.