Whole cranberries cooked to make a sweet tart sauce, spread on top of a block of brie (a soft cow’s milk cheese), sprinkled with toasted almonds and then covered with puff pastry which is baked to golden brown perfection.
That’s the recipe I am sharing with you guys today.
Easy and quick, especially if you are using store bought puffed pastry sheets. If you are feeling adventurous you can use this recipe to make homemade puff pastry. If not, store bought will do just fine. The results either way will be lip smacking good.
I got this recipe from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook. If you remember a while back I had made a promise that I will not buy any more cookbooks till I don’t cook at least 3 recipes each from the existing stick of cookbooks I have. I did follow that promise for a while, only to give in to my obsession with buying cookbooks a few months later.
Although, I don’t think I will ever stop hoarding on cookbooks, I will try my best to cook more from them. This is an attempt to do that. Hope you enjoy the recipe. It would be a great addition to your Superbowl party. Just saying 😉
I have used an egg wash on the pastry so that it browns perfectly in the oven. But in case you wish to make this completely eggless, you can use milk or melted butter to brush the pastry top.
To make the recipe even more easy, you can use store bought cranberry chutney as well. Or if you have a recipe for cranberry sauce that you swear by, feel free to use that and in that case please do share. I would love to try your recipe too.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 6 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- ½ tsp grated orange peel
- 1 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 round (14-15 oz) Brie cheese
- 1 egg, beaten (for the egg wash- can use milk or butter instead)
- Assorted crackers or sliced fresh fruit, to serve with if desired
- In a saucepan, mix the the cranberries, sugar and orange juice.
- Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Once boiling reduce heat and let simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and cranberries are tender. Stir in the orange peel. remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Toast the almonds in butter till golden brown. keep stirring and keep a watch as to not burn them.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- From a 16 by 9 inch rolled out pastry sheet, cut two rounds one 8½ inch in size and the other 7 inch round.
- Remove the paper from cheese, but leave rind on.
- Place the cheese in the center of the cut out 8½ inch round. Spoon the cranberry sauce and almonds over cheese. Bring pastry up and press around side of cheese.
- Brush the side of the pastry with the egg wash. Place the 7 inch round on top, pressing around the edge to seal. Brush top and side of pastry with the egg wash. Or milk/melted butter.
- If you like, cut decorations from the remaining pastry and arrange on top. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake on the parchment lined baking sheet for 20-25 minutes till pastry is golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with crackers or cut fruit if desired.