So all that thing of me being allergic to bananas- it doesn’t hold anymore.
Im sure you must be wondering what I am talking about- so for the uninitiated for a while I thought I was allergic to bananas because every time I ate them or had them in cakes or muffins or smoothies I would get a pain in my stomach. Like a really bad pain. But for the past couple of months I have been eating bananas and have noticed no cramps or any other problem. Maybe it was something with US bananas, because odd as it may sound, the problem only persisted when I was in the US. Here in India I have been eating bananas with no such problem. And with that issue gone, it was only a matter of time when I would end up baking with black, rotten looking bananas.
And these banana crumb muffins happened.
My grandfather loves eating bananas and also loves making others eat bananas. Everyday in the morning I get constant reminders to eat a banana. I am not a big banana fan. I don’t mind it in smoothies, or cakes, muffins, but eating on its own, takes a bit of an effort from me. But my grandfather who loves bananas and feel they are the ultimate fruit keeps reminding me to eat the bananas he gets saying they will turn black and then I wont eat. I always have to reassure him that in fact that is the best
(and only) way I like them. Because that is the best stage to use bananas for baking- when they are all black and appear to be rotten.
For these muffins, I adapted a recipe from allrecipes.com which I have tried in the past as well and only now have gotten around to shooting these muffins. I love a nice crumble topping on my muffins. While cupcakes with frosting are great, plain muffins you feel less guilty eating. And if, like me, you add whole wheat flour to it, you feel even less guilty.
These muffins are great for breakfast or a sweet snack with tea or coffee. Hope you get to bake them soon and enjoy them as much as we did in our house.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 over ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ tsp banana flavoring (optional, I use Lorann's banana bakery emulsion)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter, room temperature but not too soft
- Preheat oven 350 F/ 180 C. Line muffin tin with liners or lightly grease 10-11 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, 3 tbsp flour, cinnamon. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse corn meal. Set aside
- In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
- In another bowl, beat the bananas with the sugar, egg, and oil. Stir the banana mixture into the flour just until moistened.
- Spoon or scoop out batter into the muffin tray. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until tester comes out clean.