Bacon Spaghetti Aglio Olio!
Aglio e Olio is one of the most basic pasta sauce made from garlic and oil. By making the aglio olio with fat left from cooking bacon, the classic spaghetti aglio olio is taken up a notch.
One of my favorite food bloggers is Richa, from My Food Story. I love her recipes and she had posted this recipe for bacon spaghetti aglio olio a while back and I had made a mental note to try the recipe out soon. Soon came much later, but I am glad it did.
I love bacon fat- it’s the secret ingredient when I make scrambled eggs at home. So I knew I would love it in my spaghetti aglio olio. I used my regular aglio olio recipe, which is adapted from Ina Garten’s and added Richa’s twist of bacon to it. The result – a quick weeknight dinner which will have you licking your bowls.
If you are a fellow bacon lover, this bacon spaghetti aglio olio is a must to try. Its quick, easy and absolutely delicious.
I am trying to be regular with posting on the blog. I am hoping to get at least one post per week up, if not more- hopefully client work lets me keep up with this particular not that demanding blogging schedule. I am also looking at reviving Garam Masala Tuesdays, some time in the coming weeks. If there is a particular Indian recipe you would like me to look into, do hit me up with your suggestions. And in case you try this bacon spaghetti aglio olio out, do tag me in your creations on instagram, facebook or leave a comment here.
- SPAGHETTI AGLIO e OLIO with BACON
- 250 gms spaghetti
- 6 strips bacon
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- In a skillet, cook the strips of bacon till crispy. Remove the bacon from pan, reserving the bacon fat in the pan. Place the cooked bacon strips between paper towels to soak excess fat away. Chop the bacon into pieces.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Once boiling , add the pasta and cook according to package instructions till al dente, making sure to reserve a cup of pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the pan with the bacon fat in it. Once hot, add the garlic and brown slightly, without burning it. Add the red chilli flakes, and cook for a few seconds more.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the garlic and chilli flakes, bring to a boil, turn the flame to a simmer and reduce the water to a third.
- Add the drained pasta to the reduced garlic sauce, and toss to combine. Stir in the bacon, parmesan, parsley and immediately remove from heat. Check seasoning and serve warm.