Healthy Chocolate Brownies: Prunes lend a fudgy texture to these dense dark chocolate brownies besides making these brownies uber healthy. Instead of using processed sugar and butter, these are made with the goodness of honey and extra virgin olive oil.
I love brownies. They are one of my favorite desserts. This recipe for healthy chocolate brownies, adapted from here, is a healthier version of the classic brownies.
I love my brownies to be fudgy and dense, and less cake like. And this recipe yields just that.
Prunes are basically plums that have been dried naturally in the sun without undergoing any fermentation process. Prunes are a great source of Vitamin A, iron and antioxidants, and thus are great for your skin and hair. Prunes also are a good source of potassium, helping in keeping blood pressure low and supporting bone health. 1 prune provides 3% of recommended daily fiber intake, thus are great for digestion. (source: food.ndtv.com).
Adding prunes to the classic brownies not only gives these healthy chocolate brownies a distinct taste, but you also get all the health benefits that prunes come with. By replacing the butter with extra virgin olive oil and processed sugar with honey- the classic brownie is made healthier with no compromise on taste.
If you are looking for a healthy chocolate brownie recipe, do give this a try. If you do try the recipe, please tag me in your creations on instagram, facebook or leave a comment here. Have a great Sunday!
- 125 grams flour
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 100 grams dried prunes, chopped
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 120 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Grease an 8 by 8 inch square pan and line with parchment paper and grease again.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave, stopping and stirring every 20 seconds, till melted.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, honey, extra virgin olive oil, vanilla. Pour in the melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder.
- Fold in the dry ingredients in the wet mixture. Stir till just combined.
- Add in the prunes and toasted walnuts, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared tin and bake for 18-20 minutes, checking after 15 minutes. A tester should come mostly clean.
- Let cool in pan completely.