If you love asian salads, this chicken noodle salad with poached chicken, a spicy sesame oil dressing and noodles will become a favorite of yours.
I am trying my best to be more active on the blog. It had helped that work had been light the last couple of days, giving me enough time to spend in the kitchen to experiment or revisit old recipes on the blog and review/reshoot them. Last week besides experimenting with this asian chicken noodle salad recipe, I also revisited the flourless chocolate cake recipe from the blog archives and baked the white chocolate cranberry pistachio cookies to send to my brother and sis-in-law. I also made chocolate chip cookies and baked a barbie cake for my niece using the sponge cake recipe here and the filling frosting recipe from here. Yes, I was busy in the kitchen.
This week I was again traveling, so couldn’t experiment much but I did try a lot of new dishes and have a few things I would like to try in my kitchen. While working with other people’s food for client shoots has its own perks, I do love styling and shooting my own recipes. I also do enjoy the creative freedom I have, although I am lucky most of my clients trust me enough to give me a free reign.
I have been sharing pointers on styling and photography on my instagram stories. I have always found it helpful when other people post Behind the scenes and now that I have some sense of what works and what doesn’t (learning never stops), I thought its my time to share what I have learnt. If you are interested in knowing more about the photographs I shoot do follow me on instagram (@muddychoux).
This chicken noodle salad is adapted from a recipe on Gourmet Travelers app. I loved the sound of it, but I had to make a few adjustments since I didn’t have quite a few of the important ingredients called for in the recipe. Either way the chicken noodle salad came out delicious. I love the heating of the oil with the star anise- what a wonderful aroma it gave to the oil. Its something I am looking forward to trying more in my recipes.
- 250 gms noodles of your choice (egg noodles work, so does spaghetti)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1-2 tsp honey (start with 1 tsp)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pieces star anise
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 spring onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 inch piece ginger, coarsely chopped
- Fill a saucepan with cold water and add the ingredients for the poached chicken, and 1 tsp of salt. The chicken should be fully submerged. Bring the water to a boil, and then remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred it. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil with the star anise over medium high heat until the oil shimmers, about 1-2 minutes.
- In a heatproof bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and add the hot oil. Remove the star anise. Mix and set aside.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions, drain and rinse under cold water.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and garlic and toss to combine. Add the spring onions, carrots, shredded chicken and the drizzle the spiced oil, as per taste. Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.