Sometimes the simplest of meals are the most comforting. This whole wheat spaghetti with roasted tomatoes is one such meal. Packed with the goodness of whole wheat and the flavors of roasted garlic and tomatoes, this whole wheat spaghetti with roasted tomatoes makes a quick and simple weeknight meal.
It has again become cold in our part of the world, making it difficult to move out from the comfort of one’s bed and blanket. While I am glad I don’t have a 9 to 5 job and thus don’t have to wake up early in the morning to head out, there is a certain caveat associated with it. Without an external push, the lazy me ends up in bed without ever getting out.
To be fair (to me), last week was particularly hectic, with shoot days stretching to a 15 hour work day, so a little rest doesn’t hurt. Since I am between edits at the moment – just finished one shot’s edits and will be moving to the next in a while, I thought I will quickly post the recipe for this whole wheat spaghetti with roasted tomatoes.
Weeknights and busy days call for easy no-fuss meals, and this whole wheat spaghetti with roasted tomatoes is one such meal. Very few ingredients, and negligible chopping, and quick clean up. Such recipes, for me, are always a keeper.
This recipe, which has been adapted from here, is a very easy recipe and there is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of spaghetti tossed with some roasted tomatoes. Roasting the garlic with the tomatoes adds another layer of flavor to the pasta. I also make a wonderful pasta sauce using roasted tomatoes and you can check the recipe out here if you prefer something saucier. That recipe is a little more involved, this isn’t. Flavors and taste on both are spot on.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ tsp dried herbs
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 100 gms whole wheat spaghetti
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1-2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- handful fresh basil, chopped
- To roast the tomatoes, preheat oven to 200 C. Line a baking sheet with foil. Mix the cherry tomatoes, garlic, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper together and place on the baking tray. Roast for 15-18 minutes, until the tomatoes are softened.
- In a large pot, let some salted water come to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving the pasta water.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter and olive oil. Add the garlic, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Let sizzle for a while.
- Add ¼ cup pasta water and then the cooked spaghetti, along with the parmesan cheese. Let simmer on low heat, stirring the pasta around, melting the cheese. Add more pasta water, till you get the desired consistency. Check seasoning.
- Add in the roasted tomatoes, and the chopped basil. Serve in bowls, garnishing with basil leaves and parmesan cheese on top